Asking for Hugs.
Here in Spain people kiss each other a lot. When you run into a friend you kiss them twice, once on each cheek. When you meet someone for the first time, same thing. Basically there is a lot of kissing of cheeks going on. I like this, it's more intimate than the cold American handshake. BUT(!!!!!), people here don't hug each other. I don't know about all people back at home, but my friends and I hug each other. I get hugged a lot in the States and hugs are very important to me. Here I have to ask people to hug me when I am feeling down. And you cannot ask just anyone because most men here would understand because hugging is not part of their cultural baggage, to use an anthropological term. The other day, when I really needed a hug because life wasn't going so great, I had to go in search of one of the only men I know from the States, who I barely know, but assumed would understand or at least not judge me. He gave me a great hug and I went home happy, but I think the number one thing, that isn't a friend or relation, I miss from the States is hugs. Even more than baseball, martinis, saag paneer, or my mom's cooking I miss hugs.
So all of you back home get ready and practice because when I come home I want lots and lots of hugs.
So all of you back home get ready and practice because when I come home I want lots and lots of hugs.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home