Una Granadina Americana

My adventures while living and learning in Granada, Spain.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Thoughts on Granada

WARNING: This entry is perhaps a bit navel gazing, but I say a lot about why Granada is so important to me.

It is a stunning day. It´s about 25 degrees out (roughly, approximately 80), sunny with a lovely breeze coming off the mountains. I am in El Parque Garcia Lorca, which is located next to Frederico Garcia Lorca´s house. I am sitting under this great tree with purply-pink flowers. It´s spring, it´s Semana Santa, and it´s glorious. Today is one of those days when I want to stay here forever. This city is so amazing that it´s depressing because I cannot find the things I want in my life here. Unfortunately all this city has to offer is itself and that´s just not enough - I wish it were. I miss working, I miss my family and friends, I miss drug policy reform, and I miss stupid things like clothes dryers and Chicago style pizza. When I am gone - again - I know that my heart will ache for Granada. It did before and it will again; this time in its own way, but just as profoundly.

I used to say that I wanted to meet the great love of my life here in Granada and I have not met the man of my dreams. However, it turns out that Granada is one of the great loves of my life.

I feel like a different, maybe even better person here. I am not stressed, I am nicer, I feel more joy in my life here because there is more space. I hope to bring a bit of that home with me and carry it over into the exhausting, stressful person I am at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home