Una Granadina Americana

My adventures while living and learning in Granada, Spain.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Sevilla and Cordoba


This weekend I went to Sevilla and Cordoba for a visit. In Sevilla we saw the Barrio de Santa Cruz, the Royal Palaces, the Cathedral, and the Gardens of Maria Luisa including the Plaza de Espana. In Cordoba we mostly just saw the Mezquita and the Cathedral that is inside it, but was also took a quick walk through the old Jewish Neighborhood, where I had my picture taken with Maimonides. Both are cities that I absolutely love and it was great to go back and visit.


In Sevilla the Cathedral is an awesome place. It is the third largest Cathedral in the world following Saint Peter's in Rome and Saint Paul's in London. In it Christopher Colombus is buried, though he has apparently been buried in quite a few places in the past few centuries. I didn't take a picture of his burial site in because it is strange looking, but I got a photo of a small part of it. The artist incorporated a pomegranite - the symbol of Granada because a granada is a pomegranite - being stabbed by one of the statuary pall bearers.


The best part of the Cathedral in Sevilla is the Giralda. The Giralda is the old minaret from when a mosque stood on that piece of land. the Catholics had added onto it a bit, but most of the tower is the same as from when the city was ruled by the Arabs. It now serves the church as a belfry and a tourist panoramic vista of the city. Interestingly there are ramps that go up most of the way because the man who had the tower built wanted to ride his horse up rather than walk. I was able to walk up the tower despite the damage I apparently did last week to my miniscus, however I only was able to walk down about 11 or 12 of the 34 ramps. At that point my friend Myles carried piggyback style the rest of the way down. I later gave him a Euro for his efforts.

Well my computer is now dying so I must sign off for now. I'll post more about my trip with more photos soon and also tell stories about the arrival of my family in Granada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home