Oh Where Technology Takes Us (Frankfurt)
I am flying some 38,000 feet above the earth and the craziest thing is that there is a wireless internet network on my flight. Granted it is not free so I am typing this to be added to my blog at a later time, but were I a wealthier person I could be sending emails and reading the BBC's webpage right now. What really baffles me about this is that, from the research I have done, there is hardly any wireless in Granada, however here, on a plane there is a wireless network.
It’s interesting to me how it is that people do and do not take advantage of the technology available to us today, or at least the rate with which people choose to take advantage of it. I have to say that I am looking forward to the change in Internet dependency. Last night I was really struck by how much the Internet is like the new television with limitless webpages of entertainment. This happened because I was staying at my best friend’s apartment and when we returned from dinner along with her boyfriend and a good friend of ours someone immediately picked up the laptop in the living room and checked their email. As soon as the laptop was put down the next person picked it up. It just struck me as rather bizarre to be spending time with friends and checking email at the same time when you will have every opportunity to do so when you get home again in an hour or so. Maybe it’s just that I have been living with my family for too long and not spending enough time with people my own age, but I was a bit shocked to see this happen. It’s not that it’s a bad thing, but I suppose I am not yet used to the growing or expanded place that the Internet plays in social situations, but then I always had a rather healthy anti-social side. In Spain, even in business, email and the internet are used very minimally and many people do not have their own computers or internet in their homes do to the high prices for internet service so I feel certain this experience will not be repeated until I return to the States.
Well, given that I cannot play online Mah Jong because this wireless network isn’t free I guess I’ll do my best to get some sleep now.
Post-script from Granada: The only place with a good wireless network in Granada is an Irish pub. Just goes to show, what I am not sure, but it shows something
It’s interesting to me how it is that people do and do not take advantage of the technology available to us today, or at least the rate with which people choose to take advantage of it. I have to say that I am looking forward to the change in Internet dependency. Last night I was really struck by how much the Internet is like the new television with limitless webpages of entertainment. This happened because I was staying at my best friend’s apartment and when we returned from dinner along with her boyfriend and a good friend of ours someone immediately picked up the laptop in the living room and checked their email. As soon as the laptop was put down the next person picked it up. It just struck me as rather bizarre to be spending time with friends and checking email at the same time when you will have every opportunity to do so when you get home again in an hour or so. Maybe it’s just that I have been living with my family for too long and not spending enough time with people my own age, but I was a bit shocked to see this happen. It’s not that it’s a bad thing, but I suppose I am not yet used to the growing or expanded place that the Internet plays in social situations, but then I always had a rather healthy anti-social side. In Spain, even in business, email and the internet are used very minimally and many people do not have their own computers or internet in their homes do to the high prices for internet service so I feel certain this experience will not be repeated until I return to the States.
Well, given that I cannot play online Mah Jong because this wireless network isn’t free I guess I’ll do my best to get some sleep now.
Post-script from Granada: The only place with a good wireless network in Granada is an Irish pub. Just goes to show, what I am not sure, but it shows something
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home